This was first built between 1171 and 1185 after a shepherd, Benezet had a vision and convinced the locals that God wanted this done. It was a very difficult task as the Rhone river is very wide and strong here so miracles were needed. It initially was only big enough for pedestrians and horses but is was still the only bridge over the Rhone south of Lyon for centuries. There was a toll that maintained the bridge and the hospice for travellers and pilgrims. It was damaged many times by floods and wars but an especially awful flood in 1668 left only 4 of the original 22 arches remaining. The next bridge was built in the 1800s.