Bullicourt featured again in WW1 when in 1916 the Riqueval tunnel at Bullicourt was part of the German Hindenburg defensive line. It was filled with 34 barges, sealed at both ends and was used to shelter German reserve troops. Considered to be impregnable, it was eventually taken in September 1918 - the Battle of Saint Quentin Canal.
HONNECOURT - northern end beside the camp ground
A chain - over 8 KM long - rests on the bottom of the canal and the towing engine was designed to tow up to 30 loaded barges at a time through the tunnel at an average speed of 2.5 KPH. In its heyday 180 barges a day passed through the tunnel. Originally 7-8 men pulled the barges and this took 12-14 hours. Then 6-8 horses were employed and then they moved on to steam power but this had to be abandoned because of the fumes. From 1906 they began using electric power. This still working engine was built in 1924.