Met up with Cheryl and Guy. Elvas is the site of a more modern day aqueduct - Aqueduct de Amoreira - built in the late 16th and 17th centuries - now unused. As with many other towns it was occupied by the Moors before being recaptured in 1229. Also withstood several sieges by the Spanish and French due to its spectacular double walls and was used by the Duke of Wellington as his headquarters during the Peninsular Wars (early 1800's - there is a British cemetery as a result). We were captured as we wandered about - by an enthusiastic "custodian" of the Santa Maria de Alcacova - who gave us a detailed history of the church. A spring below the church is still used to pump water for the town supply.